Friday 12 September 2014

PROMO & AUTHOR INTERVIEW - THE OTHER LAMB BY KATIE YOUNG

Title: The Other Lamb
Author: Katie Young
Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press
Release Date: 28th August 2014

BLURB from Goodreads
Incarcerated on Earth as punishment for breeding with humans, the Watchers found a way to escape. Zach is living proof of that…even though someone has cut out his heart.

When Zach turns eighteen he develops an insatiable thirst for blood, but he tries to bury his fears and go on enjoying his birthday. His best friend Kim has scored them tickets to the hottest gig in town. But a charged encounter with his idol, the enigmatic rock star known as Grigory, leads to a revelation that shatters everything Zach thinks he knows about himself and the world, and places everyone dear to him in grave danger. 
Zach is a Naphil, the forbidden offspring of a mortal woman and a Watcher. When those who seek to destroy him snatch Kim, Zach is forced to embark on a journey of discovery spanning continents and ages. With the help of a mysterious stranger named Sam, Zach must unearth the truth about his parentage, find Kim, and discover who has stolen his heart…before he triggers the apocalypse.

Goodreads List


AUTHOR INTERVIEW

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Katie Young. I was born in Hampshire in the UK and I live in Greenwich, SE London.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I have always enjoyed writing, but I didn’t consider doing it ‘properly’ until I was almost thirty. I really wanted to be a rock star or an actress, but didn’t have the talent or fortitude to succeed at either, sadly!

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
Probably when my first short story was accepted for publication in an anthology. But I think I will always feel like a bit of a fraud!

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
It took around four years from finishing the first draft to getting it published, and it’s changed drastically in that time.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I certainly do. I work in TV production for a major US studio, so it’s a fairly full-on day job.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My book is called The Other Lamb. It’s my debut novel, and I would say it’s ‘a dark and heady tale of fallen angels, bloodlust, lost souls and rock ‘n’ roll’.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
My publisher is Curiosity Quills Press. They are total rock stars.

Do you have a "lucky charm" or "lucky routine" you follow when waiting for your book to be accepted by a publisher?
Not really. I don’t think I believe in luck. A lot of times, people mistake hard work and stamina for luck. Most overnight successes are not overnight at all – usually a lot of groundwork has been done before the recognition comes. So my tactic is to write the next story while I am waiting for a response. That said, I do make a wish on my eyelash if one falls out!

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
Way. Too. Long. I’ve been writing my current WIP since February last year, and it’s not done yet. I am a very slow writer, and I like to ponder ideas for a long time and let my brain make strange connections before I write anything down.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I would like to write a variety of things, but a writer friend once said that is a sure-fire recipe for obscurity! I think I will probably always write things with a paranormal bent to a degree, but I’d like to try different things. The story always comes first for me, then I decide the best genre for telling that story.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I wrote The Other Lamb as a stand-alone, but I see the potential for a follow up if it strikes a chord with readers. The Watchers are scattered to the four winds, so it might be fun to catch up with some we haven’t met yet.
Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
I think Grigory from The Other Lamb is my favourite because he’s so terrible in so many ways, yet he has redeeming features and is pretty irresistible. He’s kind of based on a teenage infatuation of mine. I also have a special place in my heart for the new main characters in my WIP. They are mystical twins and I am slightly obsessed with twins.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
I’d be Grigory because he is gorgeous and immortal, and he gets to front a band.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
I take inspiration from news stories and from things I learn when visiting places. I sometimes overhear conversations when I’m commuting and think ‘that would make a great story’. I write myself notes all the time then read them back and think ‘what was I on that day!?’ I also take inspiration from other authors, musicians, and films. There are countless stories around us all the time, so I just try to find an angle and crystallise one that interests me.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I tend to write on my laptop, on the sofa with a cuppa or a glass of wine to hand. I make playlists which conjure the feel or themes of whatever I’m working on and let the music take me into the zone.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
Absolutely not. I would never censor my reviews. I’m interested in all opinions – good and bad. I am a big girl. I can take a bit of a pasting!

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
I try to give the characters names which are appropriate but that also mean something. For example, the Hebrew meaning of Zachariah’s name in The Other Lamb is relevant to the plot. I tend to use real place names, but the same principle applies if I’m making up the setting.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I try to outline, but I find it quite hard to stick to a plan. My ideas tend to change and evolve over time, so I have to keep everything fairly fluid and revise A LOT.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
Now you’re asking! If only I knew the magic formula. There are always going to be the books that go ‘viral’ for whatever reason, whether it’s shock value or just something that captures the public imagination at a particular point in time, but I think generally the best way to market and sell a lot of books is to write consistently good ones! There is no substitute for word of mouth, and if you produce consistent, quality work, you will find your audience. Be humble and gracious and appreciative of your readers. Take time to network in person or on social media if you can, and write characters you care about and the chances are your readers will care too.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
I lose momentum quite a bit, especially when I’m busy with my day job and other responsibilities, and that can block me. I think the best way to get through is just try and write a little bit every day. Even if it’s just a few sentences. Just to be able to go to bed knowing you wrote something that day is good for your state of mind. I watch a film or read a book, or listen to a song with amazing lyrics. Something you can be inspired by.

What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby?
I am on the go quite a bit. There’s always a film to see or a band or a comedian or a play, or friends to catch up with, so I rarely have time to switch off. I should go to the gym more and get more sleep. I suppose the way I wind down is to have a bath. Or sex. Or sex in the bath. And also drink!

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Definitely! Grigory is based on a real person – very loosely of course – but that sense of teenage fandom and infatuation is all fifteen year old me!

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
Very dubious ones! Ha! No morals, but I guess essentially all my stories are about love. Usually really warped love, but love nonetheless.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
So many. I adore Chuck Palahniuk, Tom Spanbauer, Poppy Z. Brite, Anne and Christopher Rice, Oscar Wilde, Glen Duncan and JT LeRoy. All very different authors, but I guess you could broadly call them all writers of smart horror.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I like a paperback. They are not too cumbersome, and they look great lining the walls. Also you can flick the pages back and forth easily and the paper smells good.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
It’s so hard to pick a favourite. There are a few. As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann, Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk, Drawing Blood and Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite. But I suppose if I could only pick one, I’d go for The Man Who Fell in Love with the Moon by Tom Spanbauer. I’ve read it so many times. It’s just beautiful. Magical, heartbreaking, sexy, horrifying and wonderful.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
This is quite topical with the exciting news that Universal are going to be making new Vampire Chronicles films. That is a good example actually. I LOVED Interview with the Vampire and thought it made a great movie in its own right even though it was completely different to the world I had envisaged from the novel. But then the film based on Queen of the Damned was just awful. I think books can make great movies and TV shows, but we need to accept the film and the book are two separate entities. I know it sounds sacrilegious, but I’d probably never have made it through Tolkien’s oeuvre if it weren’t for the Lord of the Rings films. I was blown away by them at the time. I don’t understand the snobbery about films. Books and movies are completely valid art forms and there are good and bad examples of both.

Do you have a treasured book from your childhood? If yes, what is it?
I remember loving Boy by Roald Dahl, and Red Sky in the Morning by Elizabeth Laird was the first children’s novel which made me sob like a baby. It has always stayed with me. I also love Tove Jansson, AA Milne and Margery Williams. I wrote poems as a child, and I remember having a book of poetry which included Nod by Walter de la Mare. It’s still one of my favourites.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I know it’s easy to pick on but I found Fifty Shades impossible to get through. It did, however, spawn some of my favourite blogs and parodies so has indirectly given me countless hours of laughter and joy.

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
She won the Orange Prize, so she hardly needs my endorsement, but Madeline Miller’s The Song of Achilles was my favourite debut novel of 2012. It’s breath-taking. It made me weep on public transport. I’m excited for her next project.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
I always think I would have done a whole bunch of things differently, but you can’t dwell. You have to let go and move onto the next project.

What do you think about book trailers?
They usually make me wish I could watch the film! That said, I’ve seen some amazing ones. The trailer for the new Lauren Beukes (Broken Monsters) is incredible.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Write a story you are passionate about, grow a thick skin, and know there is a long road ahead of you. If you think your first effort is amazing, you are probably in for a rude awakening. Read and write as much as you can. Surround yourself with people and things that give you pleasure. Live a full and joyous life and always use your powers for good!

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Living - Chuck Palahniuk, Bryan Fuller and JT LeRoy/Laura Albert. Dead – Tove Jansson, Oscar Wilde and the Marquis de Sade.

Where can readers follow you?


1 comment:

  1. I like the sound of this story. I may have to check it out. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete