Wednesday 13 March 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - AIRICKA PHOENIX

Hello Sandra!

Thank you so much for having me visit your wonderful blog and meet your lovely readers. It’s such a pleasure to be here and to answer your questions.

Welcome to my blog Airicka, and for taking the time to answer some of my Interview questions.

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Airicka Phoenix. I was raised in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. I lived there until I was 18 and then moved quite a bit all over the country before settling in British Columbia where I now live with my crazy, wonderful family.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Originally I wanted to be an archeologist. I loved the idea of adventure and finding new worlds. Then, I realized that meant a lot of digging and dead things and spiders. That dream ended quickly. Instead, I turned to writing and creating my adventures that way. I haven’t looked back since.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
I can write about 600pgs in 2-3 weeks. That’s if I’m not disturbed and if I put everything else on hold. This is also not including rereads or edits. In total, I would say a month, a little more, maybe.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
Touching Eternity was hands down the hardest novel I have, and may possible ever, write. It was emotionally and mentally crippling. I think anyone who has read the book will agree that it’s very different from my normal state of writing because of its depth and the storyline. It’s a very tragic and heartbreaking time in the Touch Series. Would I change it? No. I would do it again if I had to, because it is so important to the series.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
You can expect a lot of different genres. I love paranormal, but I’ve had so much fun writing Games of Fire, which is a thriller/mystery that I think I will try new things often.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Games of Fire is a standalone mystery thriller with strong doses of romance. This doesn’t mean that I might not one day expand, but as it stands right now, it is complete on its own. As for a new book, always! I’m always writing. Touching Fire, book #2 of the Touch Series will be coming out after Games of Fire and following that, I have a new series that will launch in the summer. I’m quite excited for my line of 2013.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
The titles are so important to me. I will not write a story until the title matches perfectly, which also goes for character names. Names in general are just so vital in my opinion. It makes the book. People know you because of your title and your character names. The name for Games of Fire came to me because of the passion and heat between Sophie and Spencer. It was also because of the violence and danger that chases them through the story that created the title. As for the cover, it was designed by Airicka’s Mystical Creations: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Airickas-Mystical-Creations/462373910480084

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
I don’t actually. I do write a very long and thorough character bio of each character, right down to the mole on their bottoms (kidding), but their personalities, their traits are all their own. I don’t come up with those. They just come off the page as I write them.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I used to live in the library at school and I used to get into a lot of trouble for getting caught writing when I should have been working. I had all my stories in my backpack, in a binder that I carted everywhere with me.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
I think for me, strong female characters are super important. I feel like because a large majority of my readers are young girls that it’s important that they read about girls that are strong and independent, girls that don’t always need a guy to save them, but are willing to love with all their heart and be loved back.

Thank you again so much for having me. I hope we can do it again soon!
All the best to you all!
Airicka <3

Thank you for the Interview and for visiting my blog I hope you call back soon too!

No comments:

Post a Comment