Saturday 8 December 2012

WHETHER I'LL LIVE OR DIE BY STACY EATON

ISBN/ASIN: B008GWT8LG
Publisher: Nitewolf Novels
Pages: 227
Formats Available: E-book

BLURB from Goodreads
“It sounded so simple in theory; ready... aim... fire... but what actually transpired was so much more.”

Officer Nicole Nolan holds the gun steady in her hands, knowing that life will be forever altered once she pulls the trigger. Her position as a small town police officer is to protect those who cannot protect themselves. It is her job, her career and her life.

Amanda stands where protection does not exist. With several failed relationships behind her, Amanda turns a blind eye to the possessiveness Josh displays in order to sooth her desperate need to be loved. As the mental abuse turns violent, Amanda must deal with the denial and embarrassment of being a victim once again. With her emotional and physical health siting on the edge, she must fight to regain control of her life.

A gripping story with one final destination, but will it be life or death?


MY REVIEW
I downloaded this book from Amazon with the intention to read and review it on my blog.
The cover shows the main character of Amanda in a vulnerable position on the floor almost cowering away from a rather large shadow of a man with his fists clenched. I think this image fits the book well as it is about Domestic Violence.
The book covers the subject of domestic violence very well and in a thought out, thoughtful way.
I enjoyed reading this book even though the subject is not a pleasant one. The book describes the events in the book in detail and I have to say really realistically (coming from myself who has been through this problem) You see the domestic violence from the side of the victim as well as the side of a police officer dealing with the fall out and after math of the attacks who deal with both the attacker and the victim. 
I loved the characters in the book, you cannot help but get attached to them. You feel the frustration Nicole has when returning to Rebecca's house on numerous occasions for the ever increasingly worsening abuse she is suffering at the hands of her husband. 
The book has quite a twist at the end, and it also has a quite shock ending. this book had me remembering past troubles and gave me teary eyes and a lump in the throat aand a tightness in my chest on many occasions. Perhaps a sad thing for me to say but it is great that there are books out there like this one publicizing the issue of Domestic Violence. These books also help victims and survivors speak out the issue and make them feel that they are not alone. It is extremely easy to say, "her husband hits her why doesn't she leave?" until you have been there you cannot truly understand how the abuser gets into your mind, they isolate you from friends etc and make you feel it is all your fault.
So did I enjoy the book? Yes if "enjoy" is the correct word. The book is brilliant at getting the message out. If one victim reads it and then has the courage to leave their abuser it is well worth it. The takes you on a roller coaster of emotions throughout it. You also get to read about the times when the abuser is attentive and loving and "sorry" for their actions. They suck the victim back in and then the whole cycle begins again.Would I recommend it? Yes definitely its a great read and for a every book sold a donation is given to a domestic violence charity. Would I read more by Stacy Eaton? Yes I have more books by her ready to read! Would I read more books like this, if it was a series for example? Yes, though it brings up sad awful memories I would read more...

Available from Amazon.co.uk

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like it has a lot of depth and I love when an author brings you emotionally into the tale. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - thank you for stopping by. Jean has humbled me greatly with her review. My goal was for any one to be able to pick this up and understand just what it feels like to be that victim.

      Delete
  2. Jean - Thank you so much for your humbling review and thank you for putting your story out there for others.

    ReplyDelete