Wednesday 10 October 2012

THE BROWN HOUSE BY CHRISTY SLOAT

ISBN: 9780985538545
Publisher: Anchor Group Publishing
Pages: 324
Formats Available: Paperback, Kindle

BLURB from Goodreads
Some secrets should never be revealed…
Brylee Branson begrudgingly made the excruciating move with her family from the warm sandy beaches of California to small town living in New Jersey. As if she wasn’t miserable enough, they’ve moved into a creepy old house that everyone in the area claims is haunted. Brylee dismisses the idea of ghosts and hauntings, until she begins to see and hear things that can’t be explained…

Brylee has no choice but to seek the help of new friends to unlock the secrets of this place she now calls home. But some secrets should never be revealed. Can the teens find a way to release the spirits imprisoned within the walls? Or will the curse claim them, too?


MY REVIEW
I received this e-book from the author Christy Sloat as part of Author Indie Month which I was approached about by JoAnne MacLeary. JoAnne's idea was to promote more indie authors and their book in the month of October. I decided to take it a step further and give the whole month of October to Indie authors who self publish or use small publishers.
So the cover of this book, to me immediately suggests something dark and perhaps dangerous is in that house. The cover gives the house a spooky look. (Another reason this is perfect for October, you could make it your Halloween Read!)
I want to readily admit that I approached this book thinking I may not like it as I don't usually read ghostly types of books, they just aren't my thing. However I had promised I would read this one so I cosied down and began reading. By 12% into the book I was seriously hooked. I loved the flow of the book, how it was written really suited me. We are learning everything that happens from Brylee's point of view.
I instantly liked, then went on to love, Brylee, Lynley and of course who wouldn't fall in love with the gorgeous yet gentlemanly Ephraim. The descriptions are brilliant. 
When Brylee becomes aware of the ghost she fill a chill in the air, and believe me when you really get into this book you kinda feel the chill with her. Another character I like is Kayla, though I did guess her "secret" quite early on, though that didn't spoil the plot in any way at all. I am purposely not revealing too much about the book s I would love for you all to read it for yourselves and enjoy it as I did. 
The book has ghosts, mysteries to solve, curses to try and work out as well as all the normal teenage angst of picking the right dress for the fall dance and getting your friend a date with they guy she has been crushing on for years.
The book really builds up to a fantastic cliff hanger that seriously makes me want book 2 now!
So did I enjoy the book? Surprisingly I loved it! Would I recommend it? Definitely to those who love ghostly tales and those like myself who are not so keen on them, this book will change your opinion! Would I read more by Christy Sloat? I plan to, I love her style of writing, the descriptions and how easy you flow through the book. Would I want to read bk 2 in The Visitor's Series? Oh yes please, please I would love to.

Available from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment