Monday 22 October 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - STEPHANIE AMOX





What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Stephanie Amox. I was born in Irving, Texas and I now live in Flower Mound, Texas.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
 I am published through Mitchell Morris Publishing.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
This is an interesting question as they are all different.  I had the basic idea of Painfully Ordinary a couple of years before I started to write. I kept saying “who am I to write a book?” and my husband kept replying with “who are you NOT to write a book?” Once I start writing it flows fairly easily.  There are times when you get writers’ block, but something usually triggers an idea and you are back to work. Family Secrets and New Beginnings, the second and third books in my series, took me a little over a year to pull together.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
Honestly I have several books in the works in several different genres.  I haven’t decided if these will be written under my name or a pen name.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I am currently working on the fourth and final book in my series, which will be titled Rushing Calm.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I’ve been writing for many years. Writing was appealing because I’m able to create my own world. I can make things unfold as I want them and have complete control.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I think all writers have some sort of routine.  I hand write all my books and use the same mechanical pencil for the entire book.  As I finish up 2-3 chapters, I will start transcribing it into my computer. I find it a lot easier for the story to flow when I’m writing by hand.  It also allows me to take it with me wherever I go.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
 Funny enough, my mom has always read my books, but I also have Caitlin’s college roommate, Katherine, reads every single word for me.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
All of the covers for The Lumina Saga series feature the same person on the cover.  The girl on the cover is the “real” Caitlin.
(Wow that's really interesting to know, I love the covers especially the one for family Secret. Caitlin is a very beautiful young lady, her eyes are a lovely green colour, which draws you into the cover and holds your attention!)

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I’ve done it both ways, but usually I have the title before I’ve even written the book.  I normally have an idea of the general tone of the book, so it makes coming up with a title fairly easy.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
I think the best option is to write about what you know. Your story flows much easier and you will enjoy what you write about. This is exactly what I do. There are many character names that I have pulled out of the air – or taken names from other languages because I thought it really fit the personality of a particular character. Other characters have been given names of people I know – like Caitlin, Leah and Brady.

Are character names and place names decided after there creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
I have to create a personality before I can name a character.  However, I have found that it’s impossible for me to write more than a page or two about a character until I name them. It’s what ties me to them and makes them more “real” in my head.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
 Actually once you get going, the characters personalities tend to progress on their own. They grow and change based on their experiences like any real person.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
I think the best books are those that contain elements that you can relate to. The story can be written in a completely fabricated world, but if the characters have the same basic human flaws, you can still relate to them and how they react to the events around them.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Absolutely. The main character, Caitlin, was modeled after my daughter (also named Caitlin). Her looks and personality are exactly as they are described in the books. Brady is also modeled after Caitlin’s real-life little brother.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Don’t try to write what you think agents, etc WANT to see.  Write what interests you and focus on that – the rest will come. You will have times where you simply can’t get your story to progress – step away and do something else, you will be surprised where you will find inspiration.

Your Web Site?

Your Facebook Page?

Your Goodreads Author Page?

Your Twitter details?
@painfullyordin

Thank you Stephanie for taking the time from your busy schedule to take part in an Interview for my "little" blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment