Tuesday 23 October 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - DINA SILVER


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

Dina Silver, born in Chicago, Illinois, currently live in Glenview, Illinois

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
I would say, Ethan, from One Pink Line. I wanted him to be masculine, yet very romantic.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
Both of my books are inspired by real-life situations and people.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I usually write the best in the morning after I put my son on the school bus. If I haven’t written anything by 10:00am, then I probably won’t be very productive that day.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
My mom, and a few select friends are amongst my fabulous beat readers.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
You bet!

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
I do, I must admit. And while the few bad ones I’ve had have been heartbreaking and hard to read, the glowing, wonderful ones more than make up for it. I try not to take negative reviews personally because I know that I can’t please everyone.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
The toughest review was when someone just wrote really nasty stuff about the book without providing any intelligent reasons for why they disliked it. The best…well, I’ve had so many amazingly wonderful heartfelt reviews, I can’t choose one. But there is nothing than reading a review written by someone who was truly touched by my book. I can’t describe what a fantastic feeling it is.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
I would love to, but no, I would never ask.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
I love this question, because I love my covers! They were a collaboration between me and a designer, and I told her I wanted something simplistic and contemporary. The cover for One Pink Line even won the Eric Hoffer Da Vinci Eye award this year for outstanding cover art.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
I mostly pull from friends and family. Even from kids in my son’s class. I’ve been known you use other author’s last names too.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you? 
Yes, in fact my second book, Kat Fight, is based on how I met my husband.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Two of the worst transfer’s for me were Memoirs of a Geisha and Sarah’s Key. Probably two of my all-time favorite books, and I was so disappointed by the movie adaptation.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
That’s a tough question. I hope not entirely, but eBooks are certainly becoming a reader’s first choice.

Did you have a favourite author as a child?
Judy Blume, for sure!

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
If you have a story milling around in your head, then you should write it. Make the time. We can all find time for the things we need and love to do.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I’m way too vain for that! 

Thank you for having me!!
-Dina

Thank you for taking the time to do this Interview. I will definitely be putting Kat Fight on my to read wishlist!

Also don't forget that for the whole month of October Dina is donating $1 from every sale of One Pink Line to the NFF (Noreen Fraser Foundation)

No comments:

Post a Comment