Saturday 25 February 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - SHARON MAMOLO










What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Sharon E Mamolo. I was born in Ponce, Puerto Rico, grew up in Miami Beach, Florida and now I call southeast Louisiana home.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I’ve written as a means to pass time or to get zany ideas out of my head. When I was young I didn’t set out to become a writer. I had grandiose ideas of becoming a veterinarian and working in a big zoo. Alas, I didn’t have the discipline for it and ventured into venues that are more creative.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I’m not sure I can call myself a writer, in the purest sense. I write, have always written, because I love to pen my ideas. The fact that there are others who enjoy my imagination is a plus.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I am currently a foreign language high school teacher. It’s a demanding job but I enjoy teenagers and live for days when I see a spark of enthusiasm in their eyes.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My debut novel is A Lady of the Realm. In twenty words: Bethany is trying to claim a powerful title; the one person who can help her is a sadistic, egotistical elf.



Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I am self-published.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
Time is but an illusion, I find. An idea starts, new threads interweave, characters speak in my dreams and eventually it all becomes a story. Generally it takes me anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
I think I had the most fun with Beautiful Tears, the second book in the House of DeDe series. I had all kinds of ideas on justice and retribution and couldn’t wait for my main character to act them out.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I love urban fantasy and my world is filled with characters with their own stories. I expect to keep writing urban fantasy / paranormal novels for some time to come.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
The House of DeDe series is on its third book and I expect two more before the story is concluded. Because of the many characters I have started a YA novel based on one of the characters.

What genre would you place your books into?  
Definitely urban fiction. Now I’ve noticed that some of my readers tag them with paranormal romance because of the main characters relationships.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
I can’t say I have a favorite. It would be like favoring a child I birthed. I know we all do it but we don’t say it aloud.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
I happen to love Sasha. I’ve a thing for anti-heroes and misunderstood motives. I know he seems like a class act j**k at times but there is always a reason for what he does. Of course, the path to hell is paved with good intentions.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I’ve been writing since I can remember. The biggest inspiration I received was from my 4th grade teacher, Ms. Tannenbaum. A kind word, encouragement for a English language learner, and I was hooked.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?
Life is always stranger than fiction. My ideas are scenarios I see occurring in everyday life. The only difference is how my characters handle it in a world where the rules are different.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?
No, I did not request reviews until after I released my debut novel. I wanted to see how strangers took my debut novel without input from others. So far, I am pleasantly surprised.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Yes I do. I am able to send a digital copy to anyone who wishes to review my novels.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
I review everything written about one of my novels. Feedback, honest feedback, is the best way for me to grow.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
As an indie I design my own covers and add my own titles. I like doing it. It gives me a small way to put a picture to an idea.

How do you market/promote your books?
Marketing and promotions are difficult for any indie writer. I joined a facebook forum for indie writers and e-mail everyone who might be interested as if possessed.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
I think it’s the characters. I have read many books that are good and a few that I read over and over. The difference, I find, is the characters and how I respond to them.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Writer’s block is one of those things that is indescribable. I not only suffered but also continue to suffer during life changing events for my characters. My remedy is to walk away for several days until I forget what I was debating in the first place.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
I turn off all electronics, reach for a trashy romance and pour a glass of wine.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
I don’t base any of the characters on people I know. It doesn’t seem right, especially when all kinds of awful things happen to them. As to my personal experiences, I believe all writers see a little of themselves in their characters and stories.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
I’m a sucker for romance and misunderstood men. My favorite book of all time is Pride and Prejudice. Not only have I read it more than once, I have the audio book on my MP3 player just in case.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Absolute worst book to movie for me was the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. I love the book and the last movie released should have been called, ‘A story loosely based on the Count of Monte Cristo.’ They did get some of the names right.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I’m currently reading Deeper Than Midnight by Lara Adrian. I love her Midnight Breed series and there’s nothing more satisfying that a good romance with bad boys. It’s a paperback, which allows me to take it to the Jacuzzi with a glass of wine and I don’t have to worry about dropping it in the water by accident.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
I sincerely doubt ebooks will replace printed books in my lifetime. I like ebooks and the endless amount of information I can carry with me easily but there is something special about paper and ink.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
As a teacher, I know students are not encouraged to read. They are encouraged to pass a test. I know some teachers offer creative outlets for their students with essay questions meant to explore but the teachers are few and in between.

What do you think about book trailers?
I’m still trying to figure out how book trailers work.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Never stop writing. Perseverance will see you through till the end.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
Nah, I like myself.

Where can readers follow you?

Your web site? http://houseofdede.weebly.com
Your facebook page? Find me on facebook. Sharon E Mamolo -- 



Thankyou for taking the time from your schedule to take part in this Interview!



No comments:

Post a Comment